Prepare to Enroll
Tips to Remember
What You’ll Need
For every member of your household, you should gather:
- Social Security Numbers for your taxable household (all household members)
- Proof of Income information for your taxable household (all household members) – Be sure to include ALL taxable income
- Immigration documents (if applicable)
- Insurance Information (if offered through employer or currently covered)
- Employer Coverage Tool for every job-based plan you or someone in your household is eligible for.
- If you have created a www.healthcare.gov log-in, that username and password
- Email address – be sure you know your username and password
Types of Plans & Things to Consider
Plans in the Marketplace are primarily separated into 4 health plan categories — Bronze, Silver, Gold, or Platinum — based on the percentage the plan pays of the average overall cost of providing essential health benefits to members. The plan category you choose affects the total amount you’ll likely spend for essential health benefits during the year. The more your plan covers, the higher monthly premium you will pay.
Once you’ve pulled together your information, take time to consider what is important to you in a health plan. Do you expect to need several doctor visits, diagnostic testing, or prescriptions? Do you prefer a lower monthly bill or a lower deductible? If you currently have a plan, does it provide a level of coverage you’re happy with? Click here for a break out of important things to consider when choosing a plan. Compile a list of items that matter to you and a list of any questions you have about the Marketplace, then move on to our “Get Assistance” section.